Friday, June 15, 2007

Writing in circles

This post will mainly be random things I did/thought about today. As if every post weren't like that. But it will start with a photo of some chalk artists and eventually get there again at the end.

While sitting at work I decided that I wanted to bite the bullet and buy myself a Mac Book. I really like using with Macs at work; they're so much nicer and easier to use. I don't know why I didn't switch long before this (probably because I didn't use them much before this) but I really want a Mac to use at home as well. Then maybe I won't have to use the dinosaur I'm on right now.

So I went down to the Mac store, which also happens to be in my favorite shopping center, but more on that in a minute. I got all my questions answered and realized this sucker is going to cost me a lot of money. $2,000 for the laptop, $350 for the extended warranty (let's face it, I break things very quickly and easily), $150 just to get Word and other Microsoft programs, $50 for a mouse. . . And that doesn't even start to consider extra programs like Photoshop or InDesign or Quark, all of which I'll eventually want to acquire. Now I'm thinking this might be a save for it now and buy the whole thing later.

The reason this all came up is while working (I'll admit, my mind sometimes wanders at work, especially on Fridays) I thought about how I really need to get myself going on my writing projects again. But lately I haven't felt much like writing in my bedroom where the computer is, so I want a computer I can lug around with me so I can get everything down when I'm actually feeling inspired in an inspiring place.

So, yeah, I need to save money instead of buying clothes. Shoot! Okay, no more spending money on clothes starting tomorrow. But at least on my last shopping trip for a while I got some good deals on solid color tees, which is pretty much all I wear. I'm a simple girl, at least when it comes to my clothes. I like the less-is-more school of design.
During my little shopping trip, I didn't just get useful information and cute shirts, I also looked around at a chalk art festival they were having down the center street of the shopping center. None of the artists had completed their masterpieces yet, but some of them you could tell were really good. I took some pics, but they don't do them justice. There's one in particular, at left, where the artists made it look so realistic. You can't really see it well, but in the upper right corner one person is drawing a face that is shaded so perfectly. It's absolutely beautiful.
So after such an eventful evening I feel well-rounded. Just like my story.

1 comment:

  1. I've learned its better to save up for a "good" laptop, rather than go with a Dell because they are cheapish and my mother got a (minuscule)discount on it through her work.

    ReplyDelete

I'd love to hear what you think. Please keep in mind that disagreeing with kindness is much more productive than with rudeness. Besides, I like nice people.