Monday, June 4, 2007

Where are they all hiding?

Boy, do I have a headache. One of the hazards of working in a converted barn, especially being up top in the "loft" where the ceiling starts at 6 feet and slopes to nothing, is the danger of smacking your noggin really hard against exposed beams. Which I did. Really hard. Did I say my head hurts?

I did it early this afternoon, and even though I dosed up on painkillers, it still aches. And it only makes matters worse when you're trying to concentrate and work after said collision.

But while I was at work, during a daily walk I take with some of my fellow single female coworkers, I shared a random thought that had been plaguing me this weekend. I really want a boyfriend this summer.

It doesn't have to be anything life-altering. He doesn't have to be "the one." I just want to go out and have fun. I have to say, I'd like to go on more than 2 dates with a guy, which up till now has been the sum total of my dating experiences. I've gone out with plenty of guys, problem is, I've never been asked out by one I've actually been interested in.

So while walking with my co-workers I had an epiphany: If I want to date a guy I'm interested in, I'll have to be a little more proactive about it. No more sitting on the sidelines waiting for a great guy to come to me. I need to find the one I want and go for it.

That's the other problem I have at the moment. I have no idea where to go to meet them. My circle of friends is presently limited, though I've been trying to expand it. I don't go to bars or clubs because, honestly, those aren't the kind of guys I want to date.

And my account on the online dating thing expires on Thursday (hallelujah!). No more creepy messages from 50 year old men, thank you. And no more antisocial guys trying to flirt with me. The other day I got a message from one 35-year-old man who figured it was time he should start dating. Ya think?

There is one possibility for dating that actually did come from the online thing. He seems normal and is only 2 years older than myself, but he does live an hour away. That could be doable, especially if I'm just planning on having fun. I guess we'll see where it goes. I haven't heard from him in a few days, so it's likely I scared another one off.

But the point of this whole post is that I am going to make something happen this summer, dang it! Strong language, I know, but this situation calls for strong measures. If anyone has any brilliant ideas on how to meet nice, eligible, handsome guys, let me know. I'm taking all the suggestions I can (within reason).

I plan on having fun, and I think a nice guy would fit into that very nicely, don't ya think?

P.S. One friend at work knows me too well already. When I mentioned I had a random thought she asked, "Aren't you going to blog about it?" And I replied, "Yes I am." Honestly, what else would I do?

P.S.S. I am not desperate, and I do realize that I can have fun without a guy, but I've been doing the single-and-loving-it thing for 26 years now. So I think I'll shake things up a little and give the whole dating thing a try.

4 comments:

  1. Good thoughts in this post. I wish that I had some great ideas about where to meet guys, but I don't. Maybe there are some kind ones right around you and you haven't noticed them because you weren't looking for them. Lame advice, but it's all I got!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's the way life is when you're a blogger--anything of interest is good fodder.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You should come with me next time my friend invites me to join her on an overnighter or to see her friend's band play! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Unfortunately, I don't have any suggestions for you. I've never dated at all, so I doubt that I'd be much help.

    ReplyDelete

I'd love to hear what you think. Please keep in mind that disagreeing with kindness is much more productive than with rudeness. Besides, I like nice people.