Tuesday, June 26, 2007

Experimental learning

Well, I tried my hummus recipe out, and not having done it before, wasn't sure what to expect. First lesson learned: Blenders don't work so well, or at least mine didn't. Most recipes I read indicate a food processor should be used, and there's probably good reason for that. Second lesson: Tahini has a very strong flavor, so don't use much of it. I still have some of the aftertaste in my mouth.

That said, it wasn't a complete failure. I was able to salvage it by adding some basil which did a lot to counteract the tahini and salt, since I put a little too much of that in too. It is also pretty runny since I kept adding liquid to get the blender to even mix up the garbanzo beans. So I think that in order to make a really good hummus, I need a food processor. It might be awhile before I perfect this recipe, but I'm not worried. Sometime before I die I'll have it down pat.

To change topics completely, my dad told me last night that my grandma had a stroke and is in the hospital. I was a little out of it at the time, it being 2:30 in the morning at the time. I guess he left right then to take her to the hospital, but I'm a little confused on the point since he would have had to drive 3 hours to her house, 2 hours back to the hospital and then drive home an hour. And she lives with other relatives who could have driven her.

I don't know details yet, since he and my stepmom went to see her right after work. They invited me to go along, but I really didn't want to go. I hate visiting people in the hospital. I've never liked them and honestly, if it's her time to go, I'd rather remember how she has always been and not how they are just before they die. Maybe I'm just being selfish. I probably am, but for some reason I couldn't make myself go tonight. So I'll hear how everything is when they get home.

1 comment:

  1. Hospitals are so depressing. I try not to visit people when they're in the hospital unless I'm forced to go.

    ReplyDelete

I'd love to hear what you think. Please keep in mind that disagreeing with kindness is much more productive than with rudeness. Besides, I like nice people.