Wednesday, June 13, 2007

TT 11 Places where you'll find me reading


While sitting in the bathtub reading last week, I thought about all the bizarre places I find to read. Well, some of these aren't terribly bizarre, but I can find some pretty interesting places to crack open a book.

1…. The tub. As previously mentioned, this is one place I like to relax with a book. Hint: Make sure you don't get the book wet. Especially if it's from the library.

2…. In the park. It's rather peaceful when no one else is around. Just the birds and the insects to keep you company, though I'd rather have less company from the insects.

3…. In the car. I actually get carsick, so no reading on the road. But I like to pull out a book if I'm a few minutes early getting somewhere. Slide back the seat and enjoy.

4…. In the bathroom. Don't tell me you haven't done it. It's okay, everyone's done it at one point or another. As a kid I'd spend hours in there with a book, but that could also be because I was trying to get out of doing chores.

5…. Lying on the floor. Carpeted, of course. It'd be a little too hard, otherwise. But it's strangely comforting to lie there on the floor with a good book in hand.

6…. In front of the TV. I don't do this one as much anymore, but when I was younger, you'd often find me in the TV room absorbed in my book. I was rather proud of my ability to tune all the noise out. It's also a way to multitask when commercials are on, but with Tivo no one bothers with those anymore.

7…. In bed. That's usually where you'll find me curled up with a good read. Don't expect me to answer if you find me like this; I'm probably too involved to hear you.

8…. At work. It helps that I'm a book editor. Reading is what I get paid to do. Isn't life grand?

9…. While walking. Not recommended unless it's a straight shot and there are no obstacles in your way (especially ceiling beams). On the way home from elementary school, we had a long, straight sidewalk. I perfected the art of walking and reading at the same time--without bodily injury.

10…. In the bookstore. You've got to test your books out a little before buying, right? I do, often sitting in the isle as people walk past. It must really look strange.

11…. At the doctor's office. Bringing your own book is so much better than wading through the pregnancy/family/outdoors magazines.

12…. On my porch. We've got a nice little setup with chairs and a table that is perfect for reading in the morning or evening, right when it's perfectly cool. Reading with a view. Glorious.

13…. Anywhere I can. Pretty much, I like to read, and any time I can I'll whip out the book and get through the next chapter. I can make do just about anywhere.



26 comments:

  1. My DD does #9. I got so furious with her last week when she tried to do it in the crosswalk in front of our library. Yes, I'm glad she is a bookworm but really she needs to put her own safety first!

    Thanks for sharing :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I will read anywhere and anytime. As a kid I used to get around the rule of not reading at the breakfast table by reading every last bit of text on the cereal box. In my mind, it was better than nothing.

    Mama Kelly

    ReplyDelete
  3. I really like this. I have 4 boys -- and I read a lot, and your list explains why. I can sneak a few pages in anywhere -- just like you. And I am familiar with many of your spots.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I read in all of those places. My favorite used to be the tub, but now I read more in front of the TV. Great list :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm like that too, I can read just about anywhere. Great list, and happy TT!

    ReplyDelete
  6. You will find me reading everywhere too. Between classes, while waiting for anything...during breakfast. I always have a book in my purse. Great TT! Have a wonderful week!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Loved #10! Like you, I've lost myself in a book and parked on the floor of the bookstore and the library. The older I get, the dottier I'm afraid I appear. But I can't help it. Just happens!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh, I so relate! I can read anywhere, anyitme, and when I was a kiddo my folks used to get annoyed with me for reading at the table, during family dinnertime. :)

    Happy TT, and thanks for visiting my blog!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I pretty much like to read wherever I can too. And I agree with you about the bookstore. You gotta test the books before you bring them home.

    I've got 13 cool writing tips from Jack Kerouac on my TT this week - do stop by!

    ReplyDelete
  10. How about up in a tree, where your hidden from the world for an hour or two? I'm too old to do that now, but loved such a spot when I was younger. I read just about everywhere these days.

    Loved your 13...happy TT

    ReplyDelete
  11. I will read whenever I get the chance...if there's nothing to distract me! Great list! Happy TT!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I loooove your #8...I used to want to be an editor so Ican read books and get paid for that.

    :-)

    Great!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I've done pretty much all of your list, as well as reading in between double features at the movies. My fav was under the covers in bed late at night with a torch as a kid

    ReplyDelete
  14. All of these also make my list. :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. I'll read anywhere I can too, the only place I can't read is in a moving/bus, but a train is fine, which is strange.

    I hate when I drop a book in the bathwater and it gets all soggy, don't you?

    ReplyDelete
  16. I've never read in the tub before, but I always read during the commercials. My mom can't seem to understand how some people can tune out the noise.

    ReplyDelete
  17. I'm not coordinated enough to read and walk at the same time, but I do read in the bathroom, in bed, on the couch, and at doctor's office -- also on road trips when my husband is driving and while I am in my car at church or school waiting my my teen-ager to get back from an activity.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Well, it sure helps that reading is what you do for a living! I keep a book in the car all the time, too. When I'm stuck in traffic jams, I can read a paragraph or two. Good list, Cordia.

    ReplyDelete
  19. PJ- I haven't dropped a book in water in a long time. I try to be especially careful in the tub. But looking through some books I had as a kid, I find Kool-Aid and water stains and some things I can't even identify. I take much better care of my books now.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Except for reading while walking I do everything on your list too. :-)
    Thanks for visiting my TT.

    ReplyDelete
  21. leaning the book against a dog/cat is nice too...as long as they don't jump up suddenly!

    ReplyDelete
  22. My favorite place to read is outside during the summer, but I have to be careful, because I get sunburn easily!!

    ReplyDelete
  23. Cordia: I try to be careful with my books, but I'm just clumsy sometimes.

    ReplyDelete
  24. Sophisticated WriterJune 16, 2007 at 8:29 AM

    My favorite places to read are definitely my bed and at the doctor's office...oh and in the living room. I love reading in our garden at our summer house.

    You know what I think I'll do this idea as my coming T13 :)

    ReplyDelete

I'd love to hear what you think. Please keep in mind that disagreeing with kindness is much more productive than with rudeness. Besides, I like nice people.