Saturday, June 2, 2007

Voices crying from the shelf

I should be banned from bookstores. I really should. I swear it’s not good for me, or at least for my wallet, though I’m sure the booksellers are more than happy to accommodate me. It’s like a black hole that sucks me in anytime I’m within a mile of one. It’s like a beacon that calls to me from my dreary, mundane world, telling me everything will be better once I get a new book to lead me off into new fantasies.

It’s not like I have cash to burn, by any means, but week in and week out I’m back again, searching for another hit.

My bookshelves aren’t taking it too well, either. They’re strained to capacity, bulging in places where I stack books on top of each other to create nonexistent space.

The sad part of all this is that I haven’t read all of them yet. Some of them are calling to me, pleading, “Open my cover. I promise, once you look inside me you won’t turn back until you’ve whipped yourself into a reading frenzy and nothing is left except for a few words of thanks at the end. It won’t hurt. It’s easy, I promise.”

Sometimes their cries go unheard for months, even years as my book collection continues to expand. But then, every once in a while, I remember a little treasure I had shoved away in the top of the closet, waiting for a moment such as this. They’re all waiting for that moment, I’m sure. Otherwise what would life be to a book? Sitting lonely on a shelf, collecting dust and spider webs and who knows what other secrets.

Hmm. . . Maybe I need to rethink the whole buying a new book whenever I fancy and start to consider my book collection as a private bookstore where I can rediscover classics that have been waiting patiently for me all along. That way I won’t have to keep ignoring all those voices crying out to me in the night. I need my sleep, you know.

P.S. I've had to get creative finding places to put them. They're lining my dresser and in every possible crannie in my closet. And yes, I do arrange my shirts according to color. OCD, what can I say?

9 comments:

  1. I do the same thing! I'll buy and buy and buy, then neglect to read half of the stuff I've bought. It's getting crazy.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The College ChroniclerJune 2, 2007 at 8:27 PM

    I'm the same way as well...I've got piles of books that have dust sitting on them waiting for me to remember them...

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have a library of my own too! I love it, but I tend to forget about a lot of them. I don't think I have even touched some of my books for years! I'll have to rediscover what is waiting to be read!

    ...The clothes in my closet also look that way, I have a little bit of ODC myself. :)

    P.S. You are a great friend and person. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yikes, for just a moment I thought you had taken a picture of my bookshelf. Then I enlarged the picture and realized I don't know anyone in the photograph.
    We can all relate to that buying of books thing, I think. I keep finding treasures I've forgotten to read, too. I can never find where I stashed them.
    Hey, you want to come re-arrange my clothes by color? I can never find anything to wear, either.
    Good post!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Well, I need to arrange the rest of my room first. My shirt's are about the only thing that look orderly. But I'll head on over to your place when I get done here. It might take a couple years, though.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm the same way with bookstores. It's quite ridiculous. I have two full shelves of books that I haven't read yet--8ft. of books and yet I still can't stop buying them.

    I read a lot too, and I will get around to all of them eventually, but I'm bringing them in faster than I'm reading them.

    Good thing I have gotten two new (huge) bookshelves in the past year.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I can so relate! Or at least I could when I had bookstores available--southern Italy isn't so much fun as far as bookstores are concerned :(

    ReplyDelete
  8. That's why I like the library, the books from there only take up space temporarily...plus, they are free!

    I still buy way too many books though. Currently I have three on my bookshelf that I haven't started yet.

    ReplyDelete

I'd love to hear what you think. Please keep in mind that disagreeing with kindness is much more productive than with rudeness. Besides, I like nice people.