Tuesday, June 5, 2007

Alone

I could never live alone. Not for an extended period of time, that is. At the moment my parental units are driving their way to San Francisco, so that leaves me here with the dog and my brother, who is more absent than not.

From past experience I've learned that having the house all to yourself is great during the day. Do whatever you want, no one's there to bother you. But at night, that's a different matter.

I've always been one to startle easy, and to jump at shadows or pretty much anything my imagination throws at me. I'm sure it's rather humorous to watch me. I still run up the stairs when it's dark and I'm alone, and I don't know that I'll ever break that habit, either. Too ingrained in me.

And it's not just the fact that I'm easily scared. I just like having someone to talk to when I get home from work. There are days (more than a few) where I don't want to be bothered with people, but overall I cherish companionship and friendship and the love that relationships within the home bring.

So even when I move out, which I'm hoping is soon, I couldn't stand to have my own place. I need roommates to keep away the bogeyman and loneliness.

For this week, I'll cherish the time I have to myself all the while knowing that the solitude will be short lived. And hey, at least I have the dog. He may not be a great conversationalist, but he'll protect me from the things that go bump in the night. Sort of. He'll probably just lick them, but what can I say, he's a golden retriever.

2 comments:

  1. I'm the same way...though, I do enjoy the days when I have the house to myself...when it comes to night time I prefer having people around.

    At least you have a dog to protect you though. They are the best. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm 29, and sometimes still have to fight the irrational urge to take a running jump into bed on nights I happen to be alone and the perfect target for the "monster" hanging out underneath waiting to grab my ankles and pull me under. No horror films for me...

    ReplyDelete

I'd love to hear what you think. Please keep in mind that disagreeing with kindness is much more productive than with rudeness. Besides, I like nice people.