Sunday, May 6, 2007

(Quarter) life crisis

Things have been going better in my life, but still I feel as if something is . . . lacking. I haven't been able to place it, but I know all isn't right.

So while wandering my second home, i.e. Barnes and Noble, I stumbled across a book that could be the answer to the limitless questions I've been asking myself but just don't seem to have answers for.

Now I had never heard the term "quarter life crisis," but the author of "20 Something, 20 Everything" explains that this is the point for many women who have graduated college, started their careers, decent dating lives, and yet something seems to be missing.

That is exactly the dilemma I've been facing, and I realize now that I'm not alone. The title references how women of our generation are assured that they can have it all, career and family, and be everything. But with such high expectations from everyone, including ourselves, how are we ever going to achieve it all.

So there is now a generation of females hitting a brick wall. We've accomplished so much, and yet we feel as if we haven't even begun to scratch the surface. For me, that is a troubling way of looking at things because when I feel overwhelmed I tend to dive for cover and procrastinate doing anything for fear of failing. It all becomes a vicious, never-ending cycle of violence against myself, but it must stop.

I'm hoping that by reading this book and doing the activities she suggests, such as journal writing, that I'll finally figure out how to break through this unwittingly self-imposed crisis. Maybe then I'll move past the fears that are holding me back and I can start living again. What a sweet thought.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I'd love to hear what you think. Please keep in mind that disagreeing with kindness is much more productive than with rudeness. Besides, I like nice people.