Thursday, March 8, 2007

What's a girl to do?

My newest dilemma: How to reject people without feeling like a complete git.

So, my sister was really excited for me to be doing the online dating thing seeing as I'm 26 and not married. In Utah, this means I've officially been an old maid for 5 years now. I don't really care, but she seems to think I'm turning into an old bitty.

She took the time to sit down and fill out my personal survey for me, with me yelling at her in the background (No! I am not interested in fishing!) and she ignoring me like always. (I later changed many of the answers.)

I'm okay with the whole situation, actually, which is a lot different than I imagined it. I like chatting with new people, getting to know them. The only thing I'm really not excited about is turning people down.

Last night when a very scary looking man sent me a 'flirt' I agonized all night about what I should do. Ignore him? Tell him 'No thanks'? Talk to him though I really didn't want to? I couldn't decide.

Finally this morning I opted for the second. A polite 'No thanks' can go a long way.

But then it happened again. Another guy I wasn't remotely interested in sent me a 'You're cute' message and I, coward that I am, sent one back saying 'Thanks'. I couldn't think of what else to do.

The reason for this whole post, however, is avoidance and procrastination. Someone just sent me a message and I really don't want to respond because he's not terribly attractive and we don't share any of the same interests.

I feel so vain. This is horrible how I have to keep rejecting all these poor men who are just looking for a nice girl to date -- only problem is that girl isn't me. What am I to do? Do I just keep rejecting them, hoping that eventually a nice guy I could be interested in finally messages me? Or do I give in and respond to them all?

But that would mean a lot of dating and, as we all know, I hate dating. With a passion. And it would mean a lot of dating. In one day I've already received almost a dozen messages.

This could be bad. Very bad. What did I let my sister talk me into?

Edit: I just sent another 'Thank you'. I hope he gets the message.

1 comment:

  1. You should be happy that so many people are interested. Eventually one (or more) that you may also be interested in will message you, and then it'll all be worth it. I'm sure you'll be thanking your sister one day.

    ReplyDelete

I'd love to hear what you think. Please keep in mind that disagreeing with kindness is much more productive than with rudeness. Besides, I like nice people.