Friday, March 23, 2007

My pretty little garden

I've really been trying to change my attitude lately, but it's always so much harder than I think it will be. I do want to think positive, happy thoughts, but then a little frustration comes buzzing at my heels, pestering me until I start swatting at it and getting upset that it just won't go away. And just like flies, they tend to multiply exponentially. Once you get rid of one, three more come your way. They just won't leave me alone!

So, instead of dwelling on them, I'm trying a new tactic: Ignore it or change the topic. We'll see how well it works. I really like how one writer put it. He says your mind is like a garden and you should cultivate good, positive thoughts while weeding out the bad, negative ones.

I really like that image; my mind is generally brimming with beautiful flowers, but I have to make sure I keep annoying weeds from choking them out. It seems like a gentle way of keeping my mind from sinking into despair or frustration.

That is my goal for the next little while. I guess we'll see how well I do with it. I have noticed, though, that when I actively try to change my thoughts I am more successful at it and thus in a better mood most of the time. But lets face it, I'm still a woman and dramatic and hormonal, so I don't know if I'll ever get rid of all my negative thoughts. It is worth a try, though.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I'd love to hear what you think. Please keep in mind that disagreeing with kindness is much more productive than with rudeness. Besides, I like nice people.