Tuesday, July 31, 2007

Heirlooms

I can't remember if I mentioned this before, but my dad and stepmom went up to visit my sister in Seattle just a few days after I left there. I don't have any qualms about that, though, because they drove the whole way, and I dread spending 4 hours in the car (which I'll be doing on Thursday as I head up to Jackson Hole) let alone 14 hours. I've done it before, but I can't say I've ever enjoyed it.

Anyway, before they returned home, my sister loaded them up with a box of dishes she received from my grandma as a wedding present. My sister didn't like any of it, so she's passing it on to me to keep it all in the family since many of them can be considered heirlooms.

Tonight I spent a few hours going through the whole box, which was about 3 feet tall and had maybe a hundred or more pieces in it. I picked out what I like, which was mainly the crystal, and will pass the rest of it on to my brother and his wife.

There's actually a nice set of china that I'll be giving them. Although it is probably expensive, I don't really care for the pattern on the set--much too gaudy for me. But for my brother and sister-in-law, who don't own any fine china, that will be a nice thing to have.

So now I have several different pieces of crystal that I will be packing away until I have a family, or at least a house, of my own, but it was fun going through everything and picking out what I wanted. Sort of like a garage sale in my living room, except I didn't have to pay for any of it. The not spending any money part is nice, really nice.

1 comment:

  1. That's really nice of your sister. I hope that you enjoy the crystal and dishes later on.

    ReplyDelete

I'd love to hear what you think. Please keep in mind that disagreeing with kindness is much more productive than with rudeness. Besides, I like nice people.