Tuesday, February 27, 2007

As I think, so I am

I barely finished reading a beautiful little book called, "As a Man Thinketh" by James Allen. It took me less than an hour, but I was thoroughly amazed by how many important ideas he was able to capture in so few pages.

In the book, Allen describes the importance of our thoughts. "A man is literally what he thinks," he writes, "his character being the complete sum of all his thoughts."

And so, depending on what a man thinks in his heart, he acts upon those thoughts, whether good or bad, which in turn shapes his character and the circumstances surrounding him. There is truth to what he says: When I think good, pure, happy thoughts, that is how I feel and how I act. But when I am thinking low, bad, impure thoughts, I feel degraded and useless, and therefore act in that way.

After reading these words, I have decided that it is time for me to change my thoughts. It won't be an easy task -- the truly important things in life are never easy -- but it will be something to change my life for the better and I will be happier for it.

So no more moping, no more opining the state of my life. I am the only one who can change these conditions. It is up to me to make the best of what has been given me and turn my life into something truly spectacular.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I'd love to hear what you think. Please keep in mind that disagreeing with kindness is much more productive than with rudeness. Besides, I like nice people.