Saturday, November 3, 2007

A new challenge

I found out about an monthlong event that really got me excited. It actually started two days ago, so I'm a little slow on the get-go, but there's still plenty of time for me to get started.

November is National Novel Writing Month, and I've decided to join the throngs of aspiring authors who will spend the month spewing out 50,000 words of a novel. That's about 125 pages, so it would probably only be the start of a good story, but I think I'm up to the challenge. Once before, while working on Surviving Eden, I wrote nearly 100 pages in a month's time, so I know I can do it. I'll just have to dedicate myself to writing and really focus on what I'm doing.

Part of the challenge is to write the story from the beginning, so my other project will have to sit on the back burner for a while. That's okay, though, since I've gone back and forth with research for these two different projects. The one I'll work on for the next month I haven't written at all, just researched. It'll be harder than Surviving Eden because it will be set in a historical period I only know bits and pieces about. That's why I spent the day at the library getting books on history and even a dictionary.

Maybe once I'll a little bit further into the project I'll explain a little bit about the story and the setting, but for now I'm going to leave you all in suspense. As a side note, my blogging may be sporadic if I'm spending so much time writing. But I'll make sure to check in every once in a while.

P.S. Thanks to my writing class, I've completely redone the first chapters of Surviving Eden. I'll post here when I've had a chance to update it on my other blog. You'll have to let me know what you think of the changes. Maybe I'll even put a link for the old and new versions so you can see what's different.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I'd love to hear what you think. Please keep in mind that disagreeing with kindness is much more productive than with rudeness. Besides, I like nice people.