Wednesday, November 28, 2007

TT 18 Books I recommend


After reading several lists that independent bookstores have compiled of their favorite books to recommend, I've decided to come up with my own list. (And, by the way, if I ever did start a business, it'd be a bookstore that also sells stationery. All my favorite things in one room.) So here, in no particular order, are thirteen books I'd recommend. Some are classic, some may be new, but all are good reads.
1.... I Capture the Castle, by Dodie Smith. I fell in love with this story of a young girl who lives with her family in an ancient castle. The storytelling is incredible, and the language is vivid and real. I can imagine a teenage girl thinking and writing these things--there may even be some things I would have written in my own journal.
2.... The Chronicles of Narnia, by C.S. Lewis. These books are much more than simple children's stories. There is a moral to them that speaks to me. Plus the Pevensy children's adventures are delightful simply as good stories.
3.... Mansfield Park, by Jane Austen. One of her lesser known books, but also one of the best. Meek Fanny Price is the epitome of patience earning the sweetest reward. And anything by Jane Austen is bound to have great romance.

4.... The Alchemist, by Paulo Coelho. When people ask about my favorite book, I usually tell them this one. It is an amazing story of learning to find oneself. Short, but very sweet.
5.... The Five People You Meet in Heaven, by Mitch Albom. This book made me cry, it was so touching and powerful. This is a wonderful book to read, and then ponder who you would meet in heaven, or whose lives you've touched.
6.... The Winter's Tale, by William Shakespeare. Though I have yet to read it, seeing a performance of this incredible play in London showed me the true genius of Shakespeare. It also has one of the best endings of any book in literature.
7.... The Little Prince, by Antoine Saint-Exupery. The beautiful simplicity of this tale breaks my heart every time I read it. There is so much truth to the observances of the little prince. If only adults read this book more often.

8.... Mere Christianity, by C.S. Lewis. A beautiful and stirring treatise on what Christians believe and why. There is a power to his simple, yet profound, explanations.

9.... Chronicles of Prydain, by Lloyd Alexander. I love these books, but most especially book 4, Taran the Wanderer. His search to find who he truly is resounds with me.
10.... The Goose Girl, by Shannon Hale. You've got to love a fairy tale, especially one that is well told. Based on the Grimm story of a princess who must hide in the guise of a goose girl, there's a lot to love in this tale.
11.... The Diaries of Adam and Eve, translated by Mark Twain. Though very short, these two "diaries" are incredibly funny and touching. And through his usual biting wit, Twain shows us how different things seem from a man (or woman's) perspective.
12.... Harry Potter series, by J.K. Rowling. It goes without saying that these books are embedded in the American--and worldwide--conscious, but I still know people who have yet to read these fantastic books. Never fear! It is not too late to read the books. (And I promise, books are always better than the movies based upon them.)
13.... As a Man Thinketh, by James Allen. I turn to this book time and again whenever I am feeling low. His treatise on filling our minds with pure, virtuous, and positive thoughts is amazing. It makes me want to be a better person every time I read it.
Okay, I'm having a hard time stopping at thirteen, so I thought I'd throw in a bonus book.
Bonus: Captivating, by John and Staci Eldredge. This book got me through a rough time in my life. For any woman who's ever been wounded in her life (come on, admit it, we've all been wounded at one time or another), this book can lead toward healing. And any man who wants to understand women and their scars better, this is the perfect help.


7 comments:

  1. Great list. I love #2 and #7 and #12. Happy TT to you...

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's amazing to me that I have yet to read Harry Potter -- and I read a lot of books. I loved I Capture The Castle.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You're right. It is never too late to read Harry Potter. In fact it is never too late to read any book. Every book is new if you haven't read it yet.

    ReplyDelete
  4. A very interesting list. I will have to add the "Five People" title to my holiday list. Thanks for the suggestions!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love what you said about Narnia! I know I didn't understand it completely when I was younger. (Thanks for visiting my TT)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I know most of these books and I agree with you! If you have your bookshop, be sure to open a webshop too. I love both books and stationary! :-)
    Thanks for visiting my magic quotes TT. I'm late in returning the favour, the flu got me.

    ReplyDelete

I'd love to hear what you think. Please keep in mind that disagreeing with kindness is much more productive than with rudeness. Besides, I like nice people.