Wednesday, November 21, 2007

TT 17 Things I'm grateful for

In honor of Thanksgiving Day, I'd like to think of 13 things that I am grateful for. This list could be so much longer, but I'll spare you and keep it short. In no particular order . . .
1…. Moments of peace. I cherish the times when I can be by myself. It is such a comfort to me
2…. Books. My life would be empty without them. Not just because I work as a book editor, but the knowledge and joy I take from reading would be severely missed.

3…. Ability to learn. I have the opportunity and capacity to learn every day. I hope I never tire of learning new things.

4…. My family. Though they often drive me crazy, I still love them and am grateful for them in my life.

5…. Good friends, and all the things I've learned from them. There are countless individuals in this list who've touched my life in some way. I wouldn't be who I am without their love and support.

6…. Places I've traveled and experiences I've had while doing so. I can't begin to describe the wonders I've seen and people I've met while traveling far from home. All of those memories are with me still.

7…. My education and the opportunities it's afforded me. I have a good job and knowledge of the world around me because of the years I spent in school. It was well worth the all-nighters and tests and papers.

8…. Working and the independence it grants me. I can pay all my bills and live in a manner I chose. I love that I don't have to depend on anyone for support. It makes me feel so liberated.

9…. Religion. Without my religion and my god I would be nothing. It gives me power to keep moving even when the world comes crashing down upon me.

10…. A desire for self-improvement. I am truly grateful that I've never been content to be the same imperfect person I am. I keep pushing myself to learn more and grow better each day I'm alive.

11…. Basic needs that are more than taken care of: food, clothing, home. So many people struggle just to find a place to sleep and food to eat. I have more than I need, and often waste more than I should. I need to be more grateful for all that I do have.

12…. Love in my life and the love I'm learning to have for others. I have been blessed to know many amazing people, and even more blessed to have known their love. But I am also blessed to learn how to love others and share that love with them.

13…. Innate freedoms I have in America. I can think, speak, and act how I will without government influence. That is a right many have been denied, and I am truly grateful for it.

There are so many others that I can't begin to list here. I do, however, have a gratitude journal that I pull out from time to time. It helps me, especially when I'm down, to remember all the good that is in my life. May we all remember a little bit better all the beauty around us.


2 comments:

  1. That's a lovely and unusual list of blessings. And a gratitude journal is a wonderful idea.

    ReplyDelete

I'd love to hear what you think. Please keep in mind that disagreeing with kindness is much more productive than with rudeness. Besides, I like nice people.