Wednesday, April 25, 2007

TT 5 Books I need to read

Thirteen books waiting for me to read them.

1…. Emma. I've read just about every other book by Jane Austen. I'm only missing this one and Persuasion.

2…. 1776. I've heard David McCullough speak, and if he writes that well, the book is sure to be riveting.

3…. The Silmirillion. Others have told me this is the quintessential book by Tolkien, but also the hardest to understand. I'm a little afraid to start it.

4…. Leven Thumps and the Gateway to Foo. I love Harry Potter-type books and this is supposed to be a good one. Plus Obert Skye is from my state. Gotta support the locals.

5…. Ulysses. I've never read any James Joyce, but this is one of those revolutionary books every one should read, or so I've heard.

6…. Wuthering Heights. In high school I read everything but the last chapter. I've been in suspense for years. It's probably time to end that.

7…. The Joy Luck Club. Some ladies at work said this is a must-read. I did like the movie, even though I can't remember most of it.

8…. Love in the Time of Cholera. I have a Spanish-language copy on my bookshelves, but I'm thinking it might be better to start out in English. My Spanish is a little rusty.

9…. Paradise Lost. I would really like to read this, but a whole book in verse seems daunting.

10…. The Great Gatsby. Reading some excerpts from the book really makes me want to see how beautiful F. Scott Fitzgerald's writing really is.

11…. The Confessions of St. Augustine. Another book sitting on my shelf waiting for me to dive in.

12…. The Age of Innocence. I bought this book a few years ago and have neglected it since.

13…. The Marquise of O--. A book on writing I've been reading discusses this book and gives such a mysterious intro that now I have to find out how it ends.

Get the Thursday Thirteen code here!





18 comments:

  1. Start with Gatsby...it's brief and powerful...some of the others are lengthy and plodding.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice list! :) Have fun reading!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'd read the last chapter of Wuthering Heights . . . always been one of my favourite books. Thanks for sharing the list. I've looked at Confessions but never managed to pick up a copy. Now ya got me thinking!

    I've got photos from my trip to Greece last May on my 10th TT. Do stop by . . .

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great list of books to read! I adore Wuthering Heights, the Joy Luck Club, Love in the Time of Cholera, Paradise Lost, and the Age of Innocence.

    I have yet to read Ulysses and the Silmarillion.

    Happy TT, and thanks for visiting my blog! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I highly recommend Emma. She's one of Austen's strong, intelligent, self-confident heroines---not submissive like Anne Elliot in Persuasion or dim like Catherine in Northanger Abbey. She's a strong young woman who makes some egregious mistakes out of pride and snobbery. I love that novel.

    The Joy Luck Club is one of my favorite books in life.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I've read a lot of those and they are all worth reading. Don't be afraid of The Silmarillion, it's a wonderful book. Yes, Tolkien isn't always easy to read, but to me worthwhile every time.

    Thanks for visiting my TT!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Ulysses is difficult to read, but wonderful. As for Tolkien, I always return to the Hobbit every few years, it's such a great story.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Interesting list. #4 is a new one for me. Will have to check that one out. #5 was assigned in HS English my junior year. I read the first page and hated it. Stream of consiciousness. Drove me crazy and it was one of the few books I never read. Otoh, I read both the Odyssey and the Illiad, so at least I got the original version, so to speak. ;-)

    Happy TT Day.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Three books on your shelf are also sitting unread on mine. The Silmirillion, Wuthering Heights and Age of Innocence. I just read Gatsby this January. We seem to have the same taste in books! Happy 13!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I've never been disappointed in an Amy Tan book. Joy Luck Club is worth reading, but I thought The Bonesetter's Daughter was even better.

    Happy 13!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Persuasion was the first Jane Austen book I read, and it's by far my favorite. However, I haven't read Emma or several of the other books on your list yet. Many of them are on my increasingly long list of books to read list though. Maybe I'll get through them all someday.
    Happy TT and thanks for visiting my list.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Emma was wonderful. Joy luck Club is one of my faves!!!

    Confessions is on my massive To Read list as well.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I had to read Confessions of St A in college. After the exam the professor said it was one of the most godawful boring books he had ever read and we all agreeed! Emma is ok. If you can read Tolkien, my hat is off to you. I have tried LOTR several times and never got past page 3.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I've never read any of those!

    Though, I'll probably get to The Great Gatsby pretty soon.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Good list & thanks for sharing. I'd like to read #1, 2 & 7. Great Gatsby is on my shelf of TBR also. I loved the movie. Which will be better?

    Thanks for visiting my site!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Wuthering Heights was probably one of the only assigned books that I actually liked reading in high school. I could have done without the Glass Menagerie, real life is depressing enough :)

    ReplyDelete
  17. i love book lists! The Joy Luck Club is definitely a must-read! if Obert Skye is from your state, then i am too!

    i'm here from Thursday Thirteen - trying to visit some blogs i've never visited before. i enjoyed your list. i'd love to have you come visit me!

    ReplyDelete

I'd love to hear what you think. Please keep in mind that disagreeing with kindness is much more productive than with rudeness. Besides, I like nice people.