Tuesday, March 25, 2008

Sick with the travel bug

So, I'm getting tired of sticking in the same place, probably because of the winter. I don't travel much when it's cold and snowy outside, though that would probably be the best time to get away somewhere warm.

Anyway, I'm planning a few small weekend trips, camping in two weeks, then again three weeks after that, and then a month later I'm going to Book Expo America. Yes, my friends, work is paying for me to fly to L.A. so I can wander around a giant convention center filled with books, publishers, authors, and everything else you can possibly imagine that is book related. Let's just say I'm a touch excited, especially when I found out about all the free books and other goodies I'm hearing about. Can we say heaven? It makes me sigh to think of it. (Plus the added bonus of schmoozing with book people for, say, a still-unfinished book that I hope to get published some day soon. Yeah, it's a good thing.)

The thing that got me thinking of all this, though, is that I haven't gone off on a grand adventure in some time. I really want to get far away somewhere for several days. Somewhere new and exciting, and most importantly, somewhere I can explore and get totally lost in. I'd signed up for a beautiful little credit card that accrues sky miles, and I'm now at 20,000—only 5,000 more to go before I can get a free trip anywhere in the continental U.S. I was sad when I realized Hawaii wouldn't be included in that.

But that still leaves plenty of other places for me to explore. There's the South, which always sounds so interesting to me. There are several authors I've been working with from Georgia and the Carolinas, and I think those would be fun places to spend some time, especially along the coast. Then there's New York, a given for an incredible time.

I'm ruling out anywhere I can drive, so the West is out. But that still leaves New England, and oh, in the fall it would be incredible. So many places, but I can't decide. Plus, I'll need a traveling buddy because I won't go alone—that would get old very quickly—so I'll have to pick a place where someone would want to travel with me.

I've still got plenty of time to think about it, though, since I'm still a good four months away from accruing enough miles. Until then, I'll take my little weekend trips and enjoy the sights closer to home. And maybe if I have a lot of will power, I'll save them all up for a trip to Europe. That probably won't happen, though, since I'd have to double the miles needed. I'm just not patient enough for that.

2 comments:

  1. I wish I could go to Book Expo! I had to tell Suzanne maybe for so long she finally told me it had to be yes or no, so I had to say no. :( She knew I was sad, but I still can't even give a for sure yes at this point. Oh well. You guys all need to make sure you pick me up some cool stuff! Good luck planning your trips. You'll have to let me know where your GRAND adventure is going to be!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm sad you can't come. We'll miss you, but not enough to stay here. You can add your book requests to the long list I have from everyone else I know. I'll see what I can do. ;)

    ReplyDelete

I'd love to hear what you think. Please keep in mind that disagreeing with kindness is much more productive than with rudeness. Besides, I like nice people.