Saturday, January 13, 2007

Raison d'etre

I love journals. I love to write and pour out my innermost thoughts onto the page, or computer screen as it may be. There is something so powerful about language and how it can stir the soul to inspiring heights.

I craft my trade through words and constantly study them and grammar and language and everything else children dread studying at school. Many would call me a nerd, and do, but that doesn't matter to me. What does matter is the pure pleasure I derive from crafting a masterpiece of words. That and making sure every t is crossed and i dotted.

I'm not sure why words and language affect me so. I really think it's something inborn in me. Ever since I was a child I've been fascinated with reading and writing. According to my parents, I started reading when I was 4 and haven't stopped since. When I was 10, my friends and I would stage short plays I would write. Though written by a child, every time I revisit those early pieces I see the potential I had at such a young age and my dedication to my future craft.
In high school I wrote frequently, both for the newspaper and creatively in my English classes.

Looking back I can see the path that was laid out for me from such an early age. It started out with short stories and plays, later moving on to poetry. In high school and college it switched to essays and newspaper articles. Since then I have focused on journalism, fiction writing and, finally, journal writing and blogging.

How much has changed since my beginnings! I feel almost like I've come full circle in my, still young, life. What started out as a favored pastime has turned into a career and a passion. Who would ever think I'd be so lucky to do what I love? Many people don't get that chance. I should appreciate it for the blessing it is and realize that I must share my writing with others if I am to truly share my raison d'etre.

This is why I live; this is why I breathe.

For now, it is enough to know that I can write and share my thoughts with the world. With this blog I am able to share that passion for life with all, but as a final note, remember what Emily Dickinson wrote: "Judge tenderly of me."

No comments:

Post a Comment

I'd love to hear what you think. Please keep in mind that disagreeing with kindness is much more productive than with rudeness. Besides, I like nice people.