Thursday, January 11, 2007

L'amour est tout

Why does love have to be so hard? I think of all the people in the world and the likelihood that two people will meet at an opportune time, be compatible with each other and then, miracle of miracles, fall in love. I wonder how the stars must align for such a moment to happen.

And then I wonder when my moment will come. For years I convinced myself that I was better off alone, at least for the time being. It was better for me to live my life with freedom and friends and a good time all around than to spend my time fretting about how lonely I really was.

How those ideas seem hollow now. I've realized that it is only once we have truly loved another that our lives take on meaning, that we become real.

I was watching the French film "Les Destinees Sentimentale" tonight and, long though it was, there was one thought near the end that really struck me. Jean, one of the main characters, realized near the end of his life that love truly meant everything. "Every life has been worthwhile if it has known love," he said.

Love is what makes us worthwhile, what gives us meaning. And so, difficult as it is for me to find that perfect love, I wait and I wonder and I hope. I hope that when my moment comes that I will recognize it for what it is: the chance for me to turn my life into something truly meaningful.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I'd love to hear what you think. Please keep in mind that disagreeing with kindness is much more productive than with rudeness. Besides, I like nice people.