Sunday, April 20, 2008

Ah, the memories

My friend and wonderful co-worker has tagged me for a rather interesting meme. And since my birthday is this Saturday (I will be accepting any form of presents, cash or check included), it is a very apt time to look back on my life thus far.

20 years ago: I would have probably been getting a birthday party ready for myself. My mom probably baked a cake (it would have been before I had to make my own.) It may very well have been the year she tried to make a piñata that exploded in the oven as she was trying to dry it. I was very sad that there wasn't a piñata for my birthday. I've always wanted one . . .

10 years ago: Most likely I'd be performing in my high school musical—chorus, of course. It was Pirated Penzance that year, and I was a policewoman. Not my favorite part, by far, but fun all the same. Other than that, school and taking care of my pesky little brothers.

5 years ago: Wow. In 2003 I was on my mission and had been there for a good six months. It was finally spring in Montreal, and I was the senior companion training my greenie, who I got after a good three months out in the field. That was a crazy time. I can't believe it's been five years already. (Note: Anyone who isn't Mormon and wants an explanation, leave me a comment.)

3 years ago: I was working at the student newspaper. I also had just started an internship with a small LDS book publisher (unpaid, of course). That was a very busy time—class, work, homework, more work, and then enough time to play with my roommates. Ugh, and finals would probably have been that week. Even with all that, college was so much fun.

1 year ago: Last year I had just found a job working for my current company and was more than a little weirded out by the barn and the sheep and all the cats. My new co-workers were an interesting lot as well, but I've learned to love ’em. For several weeks I was working both jobs, the current and also finishing up working as a copy editor at a major local newspaper. Let's just say I had time to eat, sleep, and work, and that was it.

So far this year: So far this year I got a promotion and a raise, and I've been getting better and better at my work, as well as more comfortable with my job responsibilities. I've also been working hard on my book, trying to finish up the first draft, which is coming along well. Dating, not so much. Having fun, always.

Yesterday: I went shopping for my dad's birthday present, and then I wrapped his and my niece's presents (his birthday a week after mine, and she was born on my birthday four years ago). But I didn't just wrap them. I went all out, with ideas from a ribbon book that we're publishing at work. I'll have to post pictures of them, they're so cute. And while I was out shopping for others, I ended up with, ahem, some things for myself. I mean, honestly, how can I pass up $5 shirts?

Today: Church was at 2 p.m. today, so I got to sleep in. Heavenly. I also came up with a brilliant plan for what I want to do on my birthday. Picnic, anyone? The weather is supposed to be delicious that day, so I think it will be the perfect thing. Oh, and I finished reading A Little Princess, which only made me cry a little.

Tomorrow: It's back to work. Why do the weekends all seem to fly by so quickly? Then I'll head to the gym after (if I'm being good, which is always debatable). I'll probably finish up the day by working on my book.

This year: I plan to finish writing my book, drafts, revisions and all. Then get an agent who will get my book published. Nothing too difficult. It would also be nice if I met the man of my dreams who will sweep me off my feet and love me forever and ever. Either that or a nice, decent guy who kinda likes me and who I could see myself marrying. I'm open to anything, at this point.

Oh, and you're tagged, if you feel so inclined.

2 comments:

I'd love to hear what you think. Please keep in mind that disagreeing with kindness is much more productive than with rudeness. Besides, I like nice people.