Sunday, July 5, 2009

My own weakness

In my last blog post, I discussed weaknesses in characters and how important it is to have them. Well, I have them too, and it's not as fun having them as writing them for another character. My weakness? Impatience.

I want everything now and don't want to put in the requisite time and effort to accomplish those tasks. I want things to come easily.

The reason I bring this up is because a good friend taught me this lesson this morning. She didn't realize she was doing it, but I appreciate her teaching it to me all the same.

I've written two books now. The first one I had queried and gotten some positive feedback, but people weren't loving the book enough. A friend just read the whole thing and gave me her comments. The important thing is that she did it in a loving, caring way.

Now I'm going back through the book with her comments in mind, and I see exactly what she means. And I'm also realizing that my impatience has hindered me, yet again.

Agents and editors love to give the advice to let a book sit for a few months, and then go back to it before even thinking of querying agents with it. Well, I was impatient and didn't do that. I haven't completely shot myself in the foot because of this, but it's come pretty close.

I wanted to be the exception, the person who could write a book in a few weeks, edit in a few more, and then get an agent very quickly soon after. To be honest, I'm not at that point yet. I'm still learning, and that's okay.

So the plan right now is to go back and fix book one (Surviving Eden) while putting book two (Jessamine) in the freezer for a bit.

I know Surviving Eden isn't the book that's going to get me an agent, but I need to learn the process of revising and editing my own work if I'm to do an even better job of it the second time around.

I'm stubborn, and so some lessons have to come the hard way. The most important ones, really. Take it from me, learn the easy way. It's much better for the sanity.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I'd love to hear what you think. Please keep in mind that disagreeing with kindness is much more productive than with rudeness. Besides, I like nice people.