Wednesday, July 22, 2009

Focus . . . focus

I sometimes have to tell myself that, and frequently. Why? Because I get easily distracted.

Ooh! Shiny object!

So what were we talking about? Oh, yeah. Focus, as in, I need to focus my energies and not go beating about trying to do everything at once.

My problem? I have so many interests and so many ideas buzzing around my head. By the time one gets planted in there, I have another even shinier idea that comes along, supplanting the first.

Lately, though, I've been learning a little about focusing my energies. That's been an essential topic for me these past few weeks. I have three great projects I'm in the middle of right now, but I had to chose the one I find most pertinent to complete. I'll finish this one, and then move onto another. Simple? Not always, but it works for me.

I've also learned the importance of setting goals to help in accomplishing that task so I don't burn out too quickly before the task is completed. My latest goal? Completing Fractured by the time my next writer's conference happens in late August. (And if you're in the Utah area, you can find the deets here.)

So tell me, how do you focus your writing?

3 comments:

  1. I am a big fan of shiny objects as well. Write now I should be writing a play, but no I am on here looking for other bloggers and writers who feel my pain.
    We also have the same name and that is way too creepy.
    I hope you will stop by and check in.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I haven't been focusing my writing very well at the moment...I started a new work before I finished editing my first and now I feel torn between the two and haven't been very productive. I'm trying to just stick to the editing but ooohhhh the writing is so much more fun!

    Hang in there.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Just wait until the last minute before a deadline, then let the inspiration flow...that's what I do.

    ReplyDelete

I'd love to hear what you think. Please keep in mind that disagreeing with kindness is much more productive than with rudeness. Besides, I like nice people.