Monday, April 20, 2009

Worlds collide

In our new-fangled, sparkly world of instant communication, lines tend to blur. I'm starting to notice that blurring in my own life as I participate in several forms of social networking.

During the daytime, I'm a nonfiction book editor. I like my job; it's fulfilling taking someone's words and polishing them up a little brighter and making beautiful books. I don't Twitter or Facebook during the day so I can focus on the work at hand. (With the minor exception of checking messages during lunch, and maybe responding to a few.)

At night, I write YA fiction books, and it's something I'm very passionate about. Often I spend my evening hours writing, editing, and networking with other writers and publishing professionals online.

But I also have a social life (sort of). I have friends, roommates, and family, all of whom I keep up with on Facebook because it's easy to see what people are doing and to send a quick note saying hi. (I also talk to them in real time, but for the purpose of this discussion, I do communicate with them frequently online.)

And now that it's known that I'm an editor on Twitter, I am starting to get a following interested in knowing about the publishing world as well.

My problem? I use the same social networking sites to communicate with these four different groups of people. This is where the blurring comes in. Because I want my friends and family to find me, I use my real name, and since co-workers and authors I edit know my name, they find me the same way.

For a time I used a pseudonym for my writing to keep these different aspects of my life separate. But now that I'm querying agents and seeking to have my writing published, I decided to use my real name for this as well. This is where the blurring becomes more of a tangled web.

This morning, another aspect of my lines crossed as a well-known querying website posted a list with my name and company on it. (I'm not upset, just rather surprised that they found that information.) I'd tried to keep where I worked private because I was worried about the additional blurring. Since it is now out of my control, I'll have to make sure that those lines don't compete with others.

In some ways it's fun to have all the aspects of my life in a few places that are easy for me to check, but it can be a big headache in other ways. When I tweet, I do so more about my personal life and my writing.

How do I juggle all these things without upsetting one group or another? I'm not sure. I'm testing these potentially tempestuous waters for the first time, as are many. There are some very vocal writers who don't like knowing anything personal about the agents or editors they follow on Twitter; they're following to get industry information and don't want to hear that they have personal lives as well.

Lines are crossing, blurring, and twisting with all these new social media. It can be tough making sure that everyone is pleased, but you're not going to be able to do it perfectly all the time. People will get upset. And if I've upset anyone with the blurring of my own lines, I do apologize. But at this point, I'm going to keep moving forward because I see a lot of benefit from participating in social media.

That said, I don't tweet specifics about work; I don't really tweet about work at all. If I do post anything related to editing, it will be knowledge I've learned without giving specific examples. My authors trust me not to divulge information about them or their work, and I'm not going to betray that trust. (And if any of the authors I work with are worried after reading this post, please call or email me and we can discuss.)

I will tweet about my personal life, though I try to keep the mundane out of it as much as possible. Knowing me, though, some of it is likely to slip in.

And my writing will be a good part of what I share, especially as I go through the same process of querying and writing and revising as so many other authors out there.

So this is my way of telling my Twitter followers and anyone I know personally that I don't share information that is not mine to share. You needn't worry. And if you ever feel like I've crossed one of these lines, let me know. I'd rather clear the air than let anything languish.

(And just so everyone knows, I'm writing this at home, sick. I was pondering it a lot since I've nothing else to do of at the moment, but I don't want anyone to think I'm neglecting work.)

3 comments:

  1. Great story!! Like your writing & blog design! Kind regards, Carolyn and by the way it is important to please yourself first before you can really truely please others anyway.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've wondered about the same stuff. Thing is, I think a lot of people still don't get the idea that posting stuff on the Internet is posting stuff on the INTERNET. I may not want to hear someone's personal conversation, but there it is on my Facebook newsfeed, because they thought that the "wall" was the best place to put their intimate comment. What I'm getting at is, whenever I write something and post it online, I assume that everyone I know or associate with will get access to it, and I monitor myself accordingly. It probably doesn't solve all the work-social conflict issues, but it helps.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Michelle - great blog. Love the layout. I agree that lines are becoming very blurred with social networking.
    I have to be very careful about what I say as I have work colleagues and parents of children I teach, plus one of C's teachers on my 'friends' list. It's a 'bank holiday' here, but via email I still got demands for work to do with the day job from my Head teacher last night.
    It's a new world. We must be careful to keep some 'me' space here in this big cyber world.
    Tricia (PJ)

    ReplyDelete

I'd love to hear what you think. Please keep in mind that disagreeing with kindness is much more productive than with rudeness. Besides, I like nice people.