Wednesday, May 14, 2008

These films may be lesser-known, but they are great

I've been doing a lot of movie watching lately. Well, that and t.v. series watching, which is like movies because you watch several episodes straight through but better because there's more than one movie's worth of entertainment if you're watching several seasons worth. The interesting thing about many of these shows, and especially many of my favorites, is that they aren't terribly common, and many are foreign (to the U.S., at least). So for this week, I'd like to list 13 of the best shows and movies you may not know about.

1. Dae Jang Geum. I love this show. I just love it and can't say it enough. Although it is subtitled and still in the original Korean, it is one of the best dramas I have ever seen. No joke. Anyone who can get their hands on a copy of this t.v. series had best do it or she'll be missing out. (As a bonus, there's plenty of eye-candy for both sexes.)

2. Monarch of the Glen. A friend told me this is actually a Scottish soap opera, but it is nothing like those we have here in the states. I love this show, with it's eclectic brand of humor and drama all mixed into one. I still have a season or two to go till I reach the end, but it's absolutely wonderful.

3. The Pretender. Taking this show off the network television several years ago was a tragedy. Unfortunately the story has never had a real conclusion, though I know TNT produced a few t.v. movies that furthers the storyline. I want to rewatch all of it, in sequence this time, just to enjoy the mystery of it all.

4. Roar. I fell in love with this show during its one and only season. Travesty, I say, considering the star of this Irish-Celtic drama was none other than recently fallen star Heath Ledger at the young age of 16. My teenage heart afluttered watching this one. Plus I love anything and everything dealing with that time period.

5. Rosemary & Thyme. What could be more British than a drama involving murder mysteries and gardening. It's thoroughly enjoyable, but I often wonder as I watch how two gardeners could find so many dead bodies in the course of their work.

6. Red Green. This series is of a completely different sort. Think Canada, backwoods, lazy men and duct tape. It's really hysterical and very much in the vein of Strange Brew.

7. Red Dwarf. Saturday nights at my house used to be filled with Red Green and this zany British comedy. Set in space, and with completely fake special effects that only added to the charm, this series brought tears of laughter to my eyes on many occasions.

8. The 10th Kingdom. I really enjoyed this cheesy t.v. miniseries about some New Yorkers that get stuck in another magical realm where fairytales are real. It's just fun to watch. The best scene in the whole thing has to be when Snow White explains how she was tricked by her evil stepmother. That scene always gives me the chills, it's so good.

9. Tin Man. Another t.v. miniseries, but this time produced by the Sci-Fi Network. I know what you're probably thinking, and I thought the same thing, but it really is a fun twist on The Wizard of Oz. The acting could use some help in parts of the movie, but I really enjoyed the main character, played by Zooey Deschamel.

10. Hero. This is my favorite of the Chinese movies that have come to the world, a la Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon. The cinematography of this film is absolutely incredible. The costumes and scenes are choreographed in gorgeous monochromatic tones. I really need to watch this again.

11. Daniel Deronda. I'll admit, I have a thing for curly haired men with accents. Hugh Dancy does not disappoint in this film based on the George Eliot novel. It is a beautiful story filled with beautiful people.

12. North and South. This wasn't my favorite film to start off, but by the end I was hooked. By far, the last scene in the movie is the best. I had to rewind it again and again. Oh, how beautiful. (It comes from the novel by Elizabeth Gaskell, another British literary luminary.)

13. Jane Eyre. I could go on all night listing my favorite BBC dramas—much more than 13, I can guarantee—but I'll end with this one. The reason I say this isn't as well known is because I prefer the 1983 version starring former Bond, Timothy Dalton. The sets are sparse, but the acting is amazing.

Bonus:
Although I haven't seen either of these, I really want to and have heard they are both incredible. The first, Amelie, heralds from France and is supposed to be one of the best movies ever. Remind me, why haven't I seen this yet?

Second is a t.v. series from across the channel in England called Robin Hood. There have been many incarnations of this story, but I'm told this is one of the best. Now I have to wait for Blockbuster to start carrying them. Sigh.

I'd love to hear about your lesser-known favorites. I'm always looking for a new addiction.

15 comments:

  1. Oooh I love Jane Eyre. BBCs are the best! Happy TT!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Monarch of the Glen sounds good! I'll have to look for that one! I love Robin Hood on BBC...very good show!

    Tin Man was really good also!

    Liked your list! Happy TT!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I just received "North and South" from Blockbuster because my friends keep telling me it is great!

    Now, I really cannot wait to watch it!

    http://www.chelleyoung.com/index.php/archive/thursday-thirteen-109-thirteen-things-wonderful-things-about-being-a-mom/

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank goodness for #13. Before then, I was feeling ignorant and deprived.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love Red Dwarf. It's been ages since I've watched it but I do have some of the books.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I think that Red Dwarf still comes on PBS in my area. Maybe I will give it a look. As for Amelie, I thoroughly enjoyed it. I am surprised that they haven't done a crappy American remake of it yet. In addition to the movie itself, I would also recommend the soundtrack (which mostly consists of Parisian accordion music).

    ReplyDelete
  7. Some great films, and there are even TV series mentioned that I have heard of!
    Happy T13!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Amélie is great, and Robin Hood is the best indeed!
    Thanks for visiting my 80's TT.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Makes sense, since I don't know any of these shows! Happy TT.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I'll have to check these out. They sound funny and interesting. Happy TT

    ReplyDelete
  11. I haven't even heard of any of these. I guess I should venture away from computer now and then and see what's happening with the rest of the world.

    Our Happy Happenings

    ReplyDelete
  12. Great TT!

    Tin Man was great, as was The Pretender. And I thought I was the only other person who remembered Roar (wasn't Keri Russell in that as well?)

    We are currently watching the second series (as the Brits call it) of Robin Hood on BBC America. We loved it last year and had been waiting rather impatiently for it to start again. And besides Dr. Who, I also loved Ballykissangel and Vicar of Dibley.

    As far as American series go, most of my favs tend to get cancelled before their time. Sports Night, Arrested Development, Wonderfalls and Firefly were all brilliantly written and acted.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I rarely have time to keep up with series, but I do love going to the movies!

    Happy TT!

    ReplyDelete
  14. some good ones here. i highly recommend the BBC Keeping Up Appearances and the American WB Gilmore Girls. ABC Lost & Ugly Betty.

    glad you enjoyed the silly book title list at my TT. that BTW came from an email fwd--an eleven page, 10pt font, single spaced attachment sent to me about four years ago by my sister who, when it was sent to her, remembered how we three sibs as kids would make up these hilarious author/title combos on road trips.

    ReplyDelete

I'd love to hear what you think. Please keep in mind that disagreeing with kindness is much more productive than with rudeness. Besides, I like nice people.