Thursday, June 19, 2008

Will Work for Books

I should really be getting to bed, but I noticed how long it's been since my last post and thought I'd share some updates.

Well, BookExpo was excellent. Bigger than I expected, but not totally overwhelming. I also loaded up on the books. Fifty plus that I carried home, as you can see by the massive amount of books spread out on our hotel beds. Those aren't just mine, though. That was between 4 of us, though it really looks like we're ready to open up a used book store.

So now I'm really on book overload. I've been reading much too much the past few weeks, which also explains my blogging absence. At the moment I'm reading the new Obert Skye book Pillage, which will be out later in July. It's so fun to say that I read a book before it was even released for sale. I also got plenty of autographs, including from Sarah Addison Allen, one of my new favorite authors. Sugar Queen, by the way, was a great read. I wholeheartedly recommend it.

In other news, I found a new place to live for this coming year. Wahoo! I'll be moving in July to a house fairly close by. The other three girls are great, and I really get along well with them. One of my new roomies planted a garden already, so I'm going to contribute my little basil babies, plus tonight I went out and bought some other herbs. We're going to plant them all tomorrow. I'm so excited. (Photos to come.)

So things are picking up now. Everything's good. I'm trying not to stress too much at work, but you know how that is. Plus I stress really easy, which is why I have to pamper myself frequently. Okay. I really need to sleep. This is all coming out gibberish now.

2 comments:

  1. So what's Book Expo like for the public? From your blog it sounds like a lot of authors and plenty of opportunity to purchase books.... I was thinking about going in '09 or '10.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Actually, you don't purchase books. They're all given away for free. Some are nice editions, but most are bound galley copies (before publication and containing errors).

    There were also more than 600 authors there signing books. Some were well known but most were new or small-time writers

    If it's close to where you live, I'd say it's worth it for the general public to go, but I wouldn't travel for it. Next year it's in New York, the year after in D.C., and then it'll be in Vegas.

    It was a great experience, but I can't say I'd want to go every year. If you're interested in books, though, it's like mana from heaven with all the free books you pick up—literally—off the ground.

    ReplyDelete

I'd love to hear what you think. Please keep in mind that disagreeing with kindness is much more productive than with rudeness. Besides, I like nice people.